The following article was published
in the Métier, a newsletter researched, written and edited by the Program
Development Staff of the Office of Family Independence, Columbia, South
Phillip Roy, Inc.'s Curriculum for the Millennium
Phillip Roy, Inc., is a
privately owned company that is large enough to serve you, but small enough
to know you. Our materials are used with students in various educational
settings including many non-traditional and alternative settings. We
specialize in providing educational materials to adult students with
different learning abilities, and who come from a wide range of backgrounds.
We do not just lower the reading level of "adult materials" by changing a
few words and cutting long sentences into a few short sentences. Nor do we
just give you "children's books" and say they are for adults. What we
provide for you, are materials to meet the unique needs of your students.
Some of the features of our materials are:
· Different reading and complexity levels, so that the beginning student is
presented with a just few major ideas and facts to learn.
· We then repeat the concepts, increase the complexity of the concepts and
reading level, so that, as the student progresses, concepts are reinforced,
and more in-depth learning can take place.
· The easy-to-read print size and the format of the pages is done to
motivate the student without being patronizing.
· We provide pre/post measures so the student and the teacher have a measure
of success and accountability.
· Topics are relevant to the adult students' needs with lessons written in
management time units.
We also know that many of the students have gaps, or holes in what they
know. Many times the students do not know what they do not know or will not
admit to what they do not know. We have materials that cover all of the
areas that students need to know to insure that the gaps are closed. Our
materials are developed so you can use them to:
· Teach new concepts
· Reinforce previously learned concepts
· Re-teach concepts that may have been "misunderstood"
· Build new skills onto previously learned concepts
· Fill in gaps and holes in previously learned concepts
We also know that in many adult education programs, there are limited
resources with respect to time and money. We also know that teachers may be
assigned to classes with little notice and similarly, students may come and
go from classes without notice. Therefore we provide the teachers with
support material such as: lesson plans, pre/post tests, curriculum
frameworks, certificates of achievement, record keeping books, and suggested
teaching strategies. This allows you as an educator to spend as much time,
as possible, teaching and meeting the students' needs.
We also make all of our materials duplicatable so that you only have to
purchase one set of the materials. This also allows you to use the materials
in a number of different settings throughout your program, all for the same
price. Our materials can be:
· Integrated or infused into an existing curriculum
· Used as a curriculum
· Used as a resource center
· Used as a spiral curriculum with conce